Requesting a Change of Domicile in Tarrant & Surrounding Counties

Child Physical Custody Orders in Fort Worth

Family courts in Texas start with the presumption that children of divorce would benefit from continued contact and input from both parents. When determining physical child custody arrangements, judges often encourage both parties to remain active and influential in their child's life and rule accordingly.

After child custody orders have been in place, however, some parents may find themselves having to move out of the area or even out of the state to find employment. Remarriages of one or both parents may also necessitate a change in location.

At Favila Terry Law, PLLC, we realize that many parents are facing the legalities of either enforcing or modifying their current child physical custody agreements. Whether you are seeking to move with your child or need to enforce current domicile orders, our experienced Fort Worth family law attorneys can provide effective legal advocacy.

Texas' Domicile Restrictions

Although not mandatory, most child custody orders in Texas impose a residence, or domicile, restriction in regards to physical custody. The geographical area of these parameters may be a small as a single county or as large as the entire state. Parents who unlawfully violate these restrictions face varying degrees of penalties.

At Favila Terry Law, PLLC, we are prepared to take any action necessary to help you have continued access to your child. These could include:

  • Moving penalties: Texas family code penalizes any parent who moves more than 100 miles from the location of residence stated in the child custody order, even if there are no area restrictions in place.
  • Enforcement by injunction: Noncustodial parents can file an emergency petition to block the custodial parents from moving out of the area with their child.
  • Contempt of court: Custodial parents may face a contempt of court charge if they unlawfully move with their child.
  • Custodial change: The designation of who has primary physical custody of the child may be changed through a petition for modification of orders.

Whether you need to request a change or are in need of legal representation as you seek to put a stop to a change in domicile, our legal team is ready to assist you. Don't move forward in this legal process alone. We are ready to protect your child's best interests.

Continued Relationship with Your Child

Our Fort Worth family law lawyers are dedicated to helping you preserve the relationship you have with your child. If you are seeking to block the move of your child, or need to alter the provisions of your current physical child custody order, Favila Terry Law, PLLC, can provide the experienced legal assistance you need.

Sympathetic and constructive communication is the cornerstone of our legal advocacy. Contact us today to schedule an appointment to discuss your change of domicile options!